Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Windows Update Blocker (free)

Posted on MrBrian Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums Tools Windows Update Blocker (free)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MrBrian 2 months ago.

• Author

MrBrian
      AskWoody MVP

From http://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-0/: “Windows Update Blocker is a freeware that helps you to completely disable or enable Automatic Updates on your Windows system , with just a click of the button .”

From https://betanews.com/2016/12/09/windows-update-blocker-disables-os-updates-on-demand/:

‘At first glance, the program doesn’t seem very interesting. Launch it, select “Enable” or “Disable” and click “Apply Now” to make the change. No surprises there.

But wait — there’s also a much less ordinary “Protect Service Settings” option which prevents Windows or other users reversing your settings.

We’re not quite sure how the process works — a little permissions tweakery, probably — but it’s certainly effective. We tried disabling Windows Update, then opened the Windows Update service and found there was no way to stop, start or change its startup type.’

This program is listed at major software sites softpedia.com and majorgeeks.com.

I haven’t tried this program, but I may in the future, perhaps in conjunction with Wushowhide or Windows Update MiniTool.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  MrBrian.
      3 users thanked author for this post.
    • #129282 Reply

woody
      Da Boss

Keep us posted. I wonder how they do it?

1 user thanked author for this post.
      • #129571 Reply

MrBrian
        AskWoody MVP

I have seen scripts online that purportedly do this (“prevents Windows or other users reversing your settings”) by altering permissions.

• #129588 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody Lounger

The only thing I always worry with that kind of third party programs is do they only do what they are supposed to do and can they break something when Windows will update?

• #129589 Reply

MrBrian
        AskWoody MVP

Right. In your case though, you know how to use Process Monitor and other techniques to try to evaluate such things.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Windows Update Blocker (free)

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.