Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • Building out the forums

Home Forums AskWoody blog Building out the forums

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  woody 8 months ago.

• Author

woody
      Da Boss

I’ve just brought forums on board for Office, DevOps, Admins and Developers. Please take a look and let me know what I screwed up!
      [See the full post at: Building out the forums]

• #94620 Reply

anonymous

If I want to share tips for Office, it would be nice to have a general Office section and not having it tied to a specific version or have to post in the Office questions section. I think questions posts might be more for temporary posts and if something turns up quite interesting to a lot, could it be moved to a more “stickies” like section?

With the new forum, you might be building a huge respository of useful information and it would be nice to have the most important topics easily accessible.

I would like a section called from AU to CU so we can post anything relevant to changes between the two versions and what we might want to tweak when going from one to another.

• #94625 Reply

Kirsty
        AskWoody MVP

Users have the option to create a topic on the Office page directly, but this doesn’t always work when posting a new topic anonymously.

• #94626 Reply

NightOwl
        AskWoody MVP

Hey Anon

I would like a section called from AU to CU

I’m kinda dumb, I’ll be the first to admit it, but general short hand, private short hand, and acronyms that are not defined within the post that’s being made are sure to confuse folks like me!

I have no idea what you just said! Good luck with that!

NightOwl

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are 😉 !

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #94649 Reply

Ed
          AskWoody Lounger

AU = Automatic Updates
          CU = Cumulative Updates

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  Ed.
          • #94651 Reply

anonymous

@ Ed

It should be,

AU = Anniversary Update
            CU = Creators Update
            bc the poster mentioned “between the two versions”.

• #94658 Reply

AlexEiffel
          AskWoody Lounger

Yes, sorry for the confusion. I thought AU is used so often here it was Anniversary Update vs Creators Update. I prefer to say CU as in CU next version for better features and “Creators Update” feels weird a bit. You really think Mac users are going to switch to Windows?

I was just thinking it would be interesting to have a place where we can discusses all the changes like when 1607 AU was out, things like there is this new GPO setting and it would be a good idea to set it to this value, this GPO setting don’t work anymore because Microsoft doesn’t want you to have control over this in the Pro version anymore, etc.

For example, the lock screen can’t be removed in AU 1607 so I could have posted this tip in the “from 1511 to 1607”: Rename the lock app in the SystemApps directory and if you don’t want the password asked after getting out of sleep you can use
          [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Power\PowerSettings\0e796bdb-100d-47d6-a2d5-f7d2daa51f51]
          “ACSettingIndex”=dword:00000000 ; when on sector
          “DCSettingIndex”=dword:00000000 ; when on battery
          Do that at your own risk and only if you know what you are doing and be aware that renaming the lock screen app might have unexpected consequences and cause instability. I should not be held responsible for anything that happens to your computer and I am just sharing what I did on mine.

Then someone could explain to us why it is bad to do this trick or not or tell us if there is a better way or not and we could all have nice discussions about many tips and the best way to solve annoyances from one version to another. So, when that new version would become CBB because I guess a lot of Windows 10 users from here would be CBB, we would all have a list of things we can do to make it better right after the update.

• #94663 Reply

woody
            Da Boss

I was just thinking it would be interesting to have a place where we can discusses all the changes like when 1607 AU was out, things like there is this new GPO setting and it would be a good idea to set it to this value, this GPO setting don’t work anymore because Microsoft doesn’t want you to have control over this in the Pro version anymore, etc.

Very good point.

In general, I would stick stuff like that on the Windows 10 page

https://www.askwoody.com/forums/forum/askwoody-support/windows/windows-10/

But I’ve just carved out a couple of new forums, for specific Win10 versions. With that in place, I’d put it in the Win10 1607 forum.

Forums are a work in progress, subject to whiplash change, and suggestions are MOST welcome!

• #94659 Reply

AlexEiffel
      AskWoody Lounger

I wanted to access the forum Office2016, but it doesn’t do nothing. It just asks me if I want to post a new topic in the Office forum, so I can’t post in Office2016.

I think it would be nice to have a “Tips for Office” forum in the Office section that is not tied to any specific version.

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: Building out the forums

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.