Woody Leonhard's no-bull news, tips and help for Windows, Office and more… Please disable your ad blocker – our (polite!) ads help keep AskWoody going!
Home icon Home icon Home icon Email icon RSS icon
  • 75 Processes To Support An Idle Desktop in Win 10 v1703

Posted on Noel Carboni Comment on the AskWoody Lounge

Home Forums AskWoody support Windows Windows 10 Questions: Win10 75 Processes To Support An Idle Desktop in Win 10 v1703

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Noel Carboni 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

With Windows 10 Creator’s edition (version 1703) Microsoft has separated almost all the services so that they’re now each running in separate host processes (svchost.exe). There are now more processes than ever before running just to support an empty desktop.

There’s some bloat in there as well. I don’t know about you, but I like to trim bloat, and the new service process separation helps some with that. Like any version of Windows, this version can be tweaked.

When I first installed the update, I found that over 100 processes were running. I’ve managed to trim that down to about 75 (10 of which I have added to the Windows base set). Not everyone is going to be able to get the list this small because I have chosen to remove all the Apps and as much of the Metro/Modern/Universal Windows Platform/WinRT as I can (I have no need for that stuff).

Anyway, here is the list of 75 processes I’m seeing running right now.

75Processes

Trimmed as such, Windows uses a bit over 1 GB (1.11 GB to be precise) to support an idle desktop, which is up a bit from its predecessor, version 1607, which needed about 1.06 GB and 42 processes just sitting idle. I anticipate dropping the count by 1 or 2 more before I’m done.

Here’s more info on the list of services I have running:

TaskList /SVC /FO:CSV /NH (services running):

"dllhost.exe","3748","COMSysApp"
      "lsass.exe","808","SamSs"
      "msdtc.exe","3888","MSDTC"
      "spoolsv.exe","2236","Spooler"
      "svchost.exe","1016","BrokerInfrastructure,DcomLaunch,Power,SystemEventsBroker"
      "svchost.exe","1048","StateRepository"
      "svchost.exe","1120","TermService"
      "svchost.exe","1216","lmhosts"
      "svchost.exe","1264","EventLog"
      "svchost.exe","1324","ProfSvc"
      "svchost.exe","1332","Themes"
      "svchost.exe","1340","EventSystem"
      "svchost.exe","1464","SENS"
      "svchost.exe","1504","AudioEndpointBuilder"
      "svchost.exe","1540","Schedule"
      "svchost.exe","1648","Audiosrv"
      "svchost.exe","1664","UmRdpService"
      "svchost.exe","1716","BFE,CoreMessagingRegistrar"
      "svchost.exe","1752","Dnscache"
      "svchost.exe","1764","Dhcp"
      "svchost.exe","1912","UserManager"
      "svchost.exe","1920","TimeBrokerSvc"
      "svchost.exe","1952","CertPropSvc"
      "svchost.exe","1976","DusmSvc"
      "svchost.exe","1984","nsi"
      "svchost.exe","2092","ShellHWDetection"
      "svchost.exe","2112","LanmanWorkstation"
      "svchost.exe","2248","SessionEnv"
      "svchost.exe","2468","IKEEXT"
      "svchost.exe","2476","PolicyAgent"
      "svchost.exe","2640","CryptSvc"
      "svchost.exe","2652","DeviceAssociationService"
      "svchost.exe","2660","DPS"
      "svchost.exe","2668","WinHttpAutoProxySvc"
      "svchost.exe","2676","Winmgmt"
      "svchost.exe","2684","TrkWks"
      "svchost.exe","2692","tiledatamodelsvc"
      "svchost.exe","2700","NlaSvc"
      "svchost.exe","2920","WdiServiceHost"
      "svchost.exe","2984","LanmanServer"
      "svchost.exe","3036","iphlpsvc"
      "svchost.exe","3236","netprofm"
      "svchost.exe","5248","StorSvc"
      "svchost.exe","584","LSM"
      "svchost.exe","664","RpcEptMapper,RpcSs"
      "svchost.exe","972","PlugPlay"
      "svchost.exe","988","wscsvc"
      "vmtoolsd.exe","2796","VMTools"
      "Windows10FirewallService.exe","2484","Windows10FirewallService"

-Noel

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      4 users thanked author for this post.
    • #109940 Reply

ch100
      AskWoody MVP

Is the splitting of the services running under svchost.exe a new thing in 1703?

• #109945 Reply

radosuaf
        AskWoody Lounger

Yep, for 8 GB RAM or above, AFAIK.

MSI H110 PC MATE * Intel Core i5-6402P * 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 MHz * Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti D5 4G * Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD * Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD * Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD * DVD RW Lite-ON iHAS 124 * Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer PCI * Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit + Windows 10 Mobile 1607 (Lumia 735)
      • #109955 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

I think it runs that way when there’s more than 3.5 GB on tap actually.

Microsoft claims it’s a robustness enhancement and allows better tuning of permissions and security, and it DOES now allow you to see what resources are being used by what specific service when diagnosing problems, but I’m starting to think it’s just a way for Microsoft not to have to work so hard to make sure service code doesn’t crash or stall execution.

I see that Win 7 v1703 is less responsive overall than its predecessors. And I’m not just speaking subjectively; I’ve done a fair number of tests and measurements. There is a tweak that will return all the services back to the grouped organization from before, and I plan to do some tests to see if it helps alleviate the responsiveness issue.

Update: Grouping the services made no improvement in performance and RAM usage was virtually unchanged.

-Noel

1 user thanked author for this post.
        • #110090 Reply

AlexEiffel
          AskWoody Lounger

Noel,

You are so great. Microsoft should make you an offer you can’t refuse to hire you.

Thanks for these important tests and to report that 1703 is less responsive.

• #110256 Reply

Noel Carboni
            AskWoody MVP

You’re welcome.

That drop in responsiveness bothers me – a lot. I can’t sense what it’s doing that should slow it down. I don’t see it trying to access the network. I worry that there could be something they’ve added on purpose to slow down desktop operations so as to make Apps look more responsive by comparison.

I need to do some more detailed testing, and at some point I need to scare up some actual hardware to verify the differences. Test results from VMs don’t always translate to equivalent results on real hardware.

-Noel

• #110017 Reply

anonymous

:/

Does the idle one gigabyte usage still include memory reserved for on die video system, even if a person has a discrete video card?

• #110058 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

I honestly don’t know… Can you suggest the software I should use to check?

Here’s what RAMMap shows at the moment.

ScreenGrab_W10VM_2017_04_21_153448

-Noel

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        • #110078 Reply

anonymous

I’m not sure if this will work, perhaps GPU-Z might give an answer. I was curious if there was some ram that might not be free for system use, perhaps it would be used under load.  For my system I was pleased to see the dynamic usage be at a very low sum.

Thanks for all your testing data.

PS. Firefox 53 can use your GPU to render sites.

• #110073 Reply

drdoo34256
      AskWoody Lounger

Noel. Sometimes I’m a little slow grasping things that all u guru’s understand. U use the word ” update ” ? By ” update ” are u saying the ” update ” is that u installed or downloaded the Creators version ? Also, u are speaking about a lot of bloatware etc and u have listed Processes that u are ” running ” almost all scvhost.exe and u have ur screenshot there. Alot to look at there. My question is is this the list of the processes u have gotten rid of? Confused as it says ” what u are running” ? So, what is the list of what u have gotten rid of??? A little unclear here Noel. Just an average guy lol.Thanks drdoo2 / Pat

don't know what a signature is?

• #110074 Reply

Noel Carboni
      AskWoody MVP

I’m speaking of the Windows 10 “Creator’s Update” – version 1703. That’s more than just patches; it’s an entirely new build of the operating system. And it’s rolling out now.

I’ve gotten rid of some 25 or so processes, including services that support the Metro/Modern/UWP side of things and things I just don’t need.

My point is just that with a lot of effort Windows 10 can be trimmed into fighting form, though even after doing that it’s not quite as lean as its predecessors when similarly treated.

How many do you have running just with an empty desktop? Compare your list of running processes to mine.

-Noel

• #110085 Reply

joep
      AskWoody Lounger

From what I recall reading about separating the services it was for security and stability. If there is a problem with one of the services in a group controlled by svchost then all the services would have to be terminated to restart the problematic one. This way code is more isolated.

• #110180 Reply

JohnW
      AskWoody Lounger

Just for comparison, I am looking at an “empty” Windows XP VM right now, it only has 25 processes running … 🙂

• #110255 Reply

Noel Carboni
        AskWoody MVP

Yeah, and I’ll bet about 100 MB – or less – RAM usage.

-Noel

Please follow the -Lounge Rules- no personal attacks, no swearing, and politics/religion are relegated to the Rants forum.

Reply To: 75 Processes To Support An Idle Desktop in Win 10 v1703

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
    Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information:

Comments are closed.